Thursday, December 11, 2008

Throwing big

On Wednesday night Greg and I agreed to meet at the studio to "throw big".

I had about eight pounds of craggy crunch left, so I pulled that out. The clay had hardened since the last time I used it and it was a bear to wedge and throw. After stretching one pot past the breaking point, I re-wedged it and threw a large pot (as evidenced by the beer bottle solely used for scale). I still have a ways to go to catch up with Joe on the large-pot-from-a-small-amount-of-clay front, but small steps are better than no steps.

Greg held up his end by throwing a huge pot from thirteen pounds of clay (maybe loafer's glory?). I didn't get a picture of it because I was busy re-throwing mine and my hands were full of clay.


Biggest one to date.


I trimmed this craggy crunch pot.


I also trimmed this orangestone pot.


Greg was ready to go before I was,
but he waited for me to clean up my stuff
(and actually helped me).

Bigger and better...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Glad you clarified the use of the beer bottle. :) How big! I have a long way to go to make something even half that big.

jbf said...

It's different, that's for sure. I want to go REALLY big next time.