Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Earthen Red

When I got to Clayworks on Tuesday, it was getting foggy downtown again. I'm starting to think we live in London.

Amy, Becky, Mitch and Nick were working when I arrived and we enjoyed some lively conversation about pottery, movies, and music. As usual, I was the last to get there and the last to leave.

When Greg and I talked about getting one more cone 6 firing completed before Christmas, he mentioned that he was working with Earthen Red clay so I thought I would give it a try. It was a revelation. It seemed smoother than porcelain and I really enjoyed working with it. So much that I made sixteen pots and one lid (not pictured) off the hump in about three hours and almost finished a new bag of clay. Woo-hoo!

Now let's see if I can fire them in time...

Foggy night.


Goin' earthenware crazy.
(Beer bottle is really for scale
since I didn't have any.)


Detail of some reed infusers.


"I feel the earth move under my hands..."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great quote!!!

well at that rate you will make 200 pots in no time....

jbf said...

Don't count on it. I'm trying to concentrate on quality, not so much quantity at the moment.

Becky said...

You got me with that lyric. Now I can't get one of my fave Carole King songs out of my head! Only you just made it better! Is that one in your library????

Glad you enjoyed the Earthen Red. Whenever I'm struggling with anything else, it's always my fall back. And it never fails to enchant me. Silken.

16 pieces! You had 6 when I left! Wow!!!!

jbf said...

It's somewhere around here. (Looking under keyboard...)

I stayed a lot later than you did.