Sunday, April 19, 2009

2009-04-15 Wednesday

I was at Karen's office today and noticed one of my old pots while she was on the phone. This one was from 1999, when we were at the old studio. I did a series of the white with blue spatters pots and she really liked them. This one was made using a technique that Adrienne taught us. We made closed forms and then used a wooden coffee stirrer with a flat end to cut the top off. By using the flat edge perpendicular to the pot, it cuts the top and creates a flange on the lid. If you do it just right, the lid falls into the base and voila, a lidded pot from a closed form. Neat.

I had a traumatic experience when I got to the studio tonight. I was unpacking my stuff and stupidly left the camera on the edge of the table, knocking it off with my backpack. It landed on the corner of the back and cracked the LCD screen. It still takes pictures, but I can't use the LCD as a viewfinder, check pictures after I take them, or most importantly, manipulate the settings since I can't see the indicators of what I am changing. I'm pretty heartsick about it since I have had the camera for 6-7 years and use it just about daily. It's an extension of my limb and I know how to use it in my sleep. I am going to have to make some decisions about my camera situation pretty quickly.

1999 coffee stirrer spatter pot.


My poor cracked screen.
I almost cried.


Pots must go on.


Mugs I painted using my new Speedball underglazes.
(I got # 1081-12)


Treasures from the dollar store in PA.
UFO sponges from another world.


I got this pan for glazing large items
("throw big or go home!"), but I didn't
bargain for the great graphic in the bottom!


I put clear glaze on my painted mugs and put hare's fur blue and some mystic moss on my creamer sets. Kim was very gracious by staying late with me and even helping me wax and clean my pots. I am very grateful to her for her help and would probably still be there doing it if not for her.


Glazed and ready for the kiln.


Creamer sets and mugs on the glaze shelf.

2 comments:

Amy said...

great to read your posts again. lots of pots! a good thing.

jbf said...

Thanks! I'll try to keep up with it more often.