Thursday, April 2, 2015

2015-03-24 part 2 - Tuesday - Artist(?)

Life is a series of transitions, not one long period of stasis. If you don't move, you don't grow. I could go into the old metaphor of the caterpillar and the butterfly, but I don't think it's necessary.

After many years as a student at Clayworks I am going to become a studio artist, renting a set of shelves in the artist area. I am honored to be considered an artist by people I respect and admire. While I usually like the things I make, I rarely feel very confident about others' acceptance of my work and if I do, it doesn't last long.

I think part of the issue is that I've considered myself "just a student" for so long that I have to work hard to change my mindset. That's what makes the idea of this move so exhilarating and scary at the same time. I'm looking forward to the new opportunities and worrying about the rest.

On the plus side, this whole thought process has been a catalyst to my creativity. I have so many ideas running around in my head that it's hard to absorb them before the next bunch arrives. I'm starting to take notes.

I have learned, especially in the last few years, that I like being out of my comfort zone.

I attended a Mark Peters workshop at Clayworks several years ago. During his presentation he mentioned that he always tries something new during a workshop because it's great to be out of your comfort zone. I took him at his word and I often try new things while doing demos. Life without a net has it's rewards.

This move is the biggest step outside that zone to date, and with any luck I'll take up residence in the big area outside the comfy place.

If you've been reading these pages for a while or if you've purchased my work, thank you for your support --and hang on for the next chapter in my journey as an artist.

I'm gonna see if this caterpillar has wings.

My student shelf for the last four years (this June).


Says it all.


.

No comments: