Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Another fired pot and a photography rant

Here is another piece from the last firing of the previous class session. It's an orangestone pot 2 1/2 inches high by 4 1/4 inches wide, glazed with spotted shino and decorated with some glazes that I neglected to record, fired to cone 10. It's got a nice, wide rim and feels good in my hands.

While trying to capture an image of it I found some interesting ways to do it.


First, the inside.


Here's what I used.
I put a piece of Meredith's old artwork
face down on my keyboard,
turned on the macro button,
moved back, and zoomed in to the pot.


I tried the same thing for the outside, but it was blurry.
(and a bit crooked!)


I returned the zoom to "normal", moved the camera closer
and now the flash was too much at that distance.


Finally, I placed my finger over about half
of the flash to cut down the blast.
Much better, but since I'm not zoomed in,
the limitations of my improvised backdrop are obvious.


I read a lot of clay blogs and I feel bad for people who make beautiful pieces and post blurry photos of them. It can definitely be a challenge, especially with a little point-and-shoot camera like I use, but if you keep trying you can usually find a way to make it work. I continually re-take shots using different combinations of options until I get what I want. I think we all need a class in digital photography just to make "everyday" pictures of our pots.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled rant.

No comments: