Monday, December 25, 2017

2017-11-27 - Monday - Salting and deer

Monday we finished firing the salt kiln. If you've never attended a salt kiln firing, we add the salt at the end of the firing. The salt (sodium chloride) atomizes and breaks down so the salt coats the pots and the chlorine goes out of the chimney. It's a community event and we usually have several people helping out with it.

We made it a real community event when I put us on Periscope for the salting process. I was talking to a user in the U.K. (who knew Doug and Hannah!) and later to my friend Ang in Australia. It's a big community.

One of the two forced-air burners.

Greg, Kurt, and yours truly waiting to salt.

We shut down the kiln when it was finished and everyone packed up and left. I was last (go figure) and noticed as I was driving out of the parking lot that I could see light between the bricks of the kiln as I went by. Watch this short video. You will see the gaps light up, cascading across the wall of the kiln as the camera moves. I love to notice little things like this.



When I got home I noticed some visitors across the street so I stopped my van in the road and grabbed some photos. They were not alarmed about my running van so close to them and didn't even mind being in the spotlight. They were vigilant, but just kept feeding on the neighbor's grass and acorns.







.

No comments: