Friday, October 8, 2010

2010-10-07 Thursday - New direction

I am exhilarated by the new directions my clay exploration is taking me.  I am still doing the slip/sodium silicate process, but now I am using phoenix and black slip and pushing the clay to it's limit (and sometimes beyond).  I call these pots my "balloon pots" since they are so thin.  Sometimes just taking them off the bat is dangerous.

As you can see in the pictures the teapot form was so thin it  just collapsed straight down from its own weight.  I was thinking about tossing it into the slop bucket when Greg told me I should make it a teapot.  Thanks Greg!  I think it came out pretty well.  More to come.

Heady times, these.


 New batch.


 Sometimes form trumps function.


 Meteor strike.


Alien?


Somewhat more subdued.

.

No comments: