Monday, May 29, 2017

2017-04-19 - Wednesday - Raspberry Pi

If you haven't heard of the Raspberry Pi computer you should check it out. It started out as an inexpensive computer on a board that people and especially children around the world could afford an has become so much more. There are all kinds of sensors and add-ons for it.

I'm using the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. It's a complete Linux desktop computer with 4 USB ports, an ethernet port, an HDMI port, and onboard WiFi that is the size of a deck of playing cards. Pretty slick stuff.

I have been trying to figure out a way to replace the old "dumb terminals" from the 1980's that some of my customers are still using so I looked at the Raspberry Pi as an option.

Wednesday I installed the first one as a test. I will install more if it proves successful. There are no moving parts or fans in the case so I am curious to see how it holds up in the hot Carolina summers before we commit to any more of them.

So far so good.

Wish me luck.


The display (20" monitor) and the Raspberry Pi
velcroed to the wall behind it.

The Raspberry Pi with a marker to show scale.



.

No comments: