Saturday, August 23, 2014

2014-08-11 - Monday - Early morning walk

Monday morning I went out at 6:30 am for a walk on the beach.  This is our second year at Rehoboth Beach and the first time I have set foot on the sand.  I walked down by the waters edge for about 1/2 a mile and was disappointed to find no shells or wildlife of any kind.  The only thing I saw were two dead sand fleas and some clam bubble holes.  Since I don't sit on the beach and get a tan I don't see any reason to go back down there.

I guess I am spoiled by the beach on the Jersey shore.  It's teeming with life everywhere you look. Ghost crabs, sand fleas, blue crabs, hermit crabs, horseshoe crabs, and small fry. There are places on that beach where you can actually stand ankle deep in baby clams --no sand, just clams. As the tide goes out, the bounty of shells, seaweed, live mussels, and jellyfish is everywhere.  From large bay clam to razor clam shells, scallop shells, snail shells, conch shells, and all manor of crab shells are everywhere.

[sigh]

Not here.





.

No comments: