Friday, March 9, 2012

March 3 - Jugs

I've had an exciting invitation to participate in firing a ground hog kiln. This kiln is fired using wood as fuel and creates a unique surface on the pots.  My friends, Hal and Corine own the kiln and have given me this great opportunity.

Since the ground hog kiln is a traditional type of North Carolina kiln I thought I would make some traditional pots.  I have never made a large jug before so I thought this would be the perfect time to try.  As you can see from the photo, I ran out of clay on the third one and didn't have enough to make a proper rim so I have two jugs and a pot.  Live and learn.  The trick is to get these handled, dried, bisqued, and glazed before Friday.

Wish me luck.



.

2 comments:

Max said...

Whish you much luck, And I know you will have more fun than you should! And I am envious.

jbf said...

You know me entirely too well Max.

It's an interesting combination of real excitement and a bit of fear since I've never done it before and I want to make sure I don't miss a step in the dance and get in the way.

It's like a chef's knife: The excitement is the broad side of the blade and the fear is the knife's edge. I'm working with seasoned pros and I'm the newbie. Just gotta' get past the first time.

You know you'll be able to read all about it here.