Thursday, July 3, 2008

6-30-2008 Firing

All my pots didn't come out as expected (when do they ever, right?), but I am very pleased with some of them.

This is a closeup of one of my two teapots.

You can check out the rest of them here.

I am really enjoying putting slip on top of the glazes --when it works. I have a few ideas to help it when it doesn't want to cooperate. I like the texture and look it gives as accents to an otherwise ordinary piece. I will be experimenting with this process more in future firings.

I'm still fascinated with using marbles in recessed areas because it has produced nice effects. I have a teapot in this batch that has one cat's eye marble in the lid.

Thanks to Greg for all your throwing and glazing advice.
Thanks to Julie for firing the kiln.
Thanks to Joe for all your input, advice and support.
Thanks to all at Clayworks for your help and comradery in everything I attempt.

4 comments:

Becky said...

That's a fine lot o' pots, John. Beautiful work!
After last night's class with Greg, I'm fired up to explore more surface design techniques...and have already picked up a couple of new ideas for cave art treatments. See ya at the barrel firing.

jbf said...

Thanks!
I'm envious. I already wish I had signed up for it. You'll notice me at the barrel firing --I'll be the one with bells on. :^)

Jen Mecca said...

John,
Welcome to the bloggin'. Good luck with the marbles. Platters are great for melting glaze on. Jen

jbf said...

Thanks!
I like making little "pools of light" on my slap trays with them.