Tuesday, August 26, 2008

September 10th may never get here.

If it does, it'll still seem like forever.

My Clayworks class starts on September 10th and I can't wait --can you tell? It has been a long, hot, dry summer with no throwing. The barrel firings have been great fun and helping out with the Tuesday night class and Muddy Fun has been a blast, but I really need to get back to throwing a whole mess 'o pots.

I want to get better, much better and the only way to do that is to throw pots. After all this time I'm starting to get more of a feel for the forms, the clay, and the decoration and it feels great. I desperately want to close the gap that Ira Glass was talking about and feel like I'm making something worthwhile. I get a lot of enjoyment from the pots I throw, but they don't stand up well to scrutiny. They're not graceful enough or artistic enough or deliberate enough to suit me.

I'll be glad to work on it. A lot. I mean it, people will be sick of seeing me at the studio. But I want to break through a few levels or "shells". It's time to molt and grow. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Elaine Spallone said...

Alrighty, let's see what you got John!!! 10 classes right? so are we thinking 100 pots. And then pick one to fire!!! Like Peter rose was sharing ....