Friday, January 13, 2017

2017-01-05 - Thursday - Oh no! Snow!

They are calling for snow on Friday night and beginning Wednesday the food stores were wiped out. People are apparently blowing their monthly food budget in a couple of days of frenzied buying. I'm used to everyone snapping up the milk and bread, but this time it was the produce section, the meat section, even the canned beans were gone. I've never seen it this bad and I've lived here for more than 36 years.

Why do people panic-buy food if a few inches of snow is predicted? Do they think we will be snowed in for days or weeks? What will they do with all this food if they lose power due to the storm? I don't get it.

When I worked in the deli department about 12 years ago I would have regular customers come in every week and buy 1/2 pound of ham and 1/2 pound of cheese. When snow was predicted the same people would buy 4 and 5 pounds of meat. For what? If they only ate 1/2 pound per week were they planning on being snowed in for 8 weeks? Did they think the food would last that long without spoiling?

Did I mention that I don't get it?





It's kind of scary. If this kind of melee happens when a few inches of snow are predicted, what would happen if something really scary was going on? I shudder to think about it.



.

No comments: