Tuesday, January 10, 2017

2016-12-29 - Thursday - Good fortune, prosperity, and happiness

During our trip Pennsylvania Christmas trip we spent some time sorting through my late father-in-law's belongings. He had an extensive tie-clip collection and one of them had what appeared to be Chinese characters on it. I snapped a photo and sent it to my friend Ju-Ian who informed me that they mean "Good Fortune", "Prosperity", and "Happiness".

While it's a nice sentiment, I wonder how he came to have this clip. He was in the navy during the Korean war, but I'm not sure he got to Asia. Perhaps it was a gift from someone along the way; maybe one of his many students in the colleges where he taught.

We'll never know now, but it's a pretty neat item.

Good fortune, prosperity,and happiness.



.

No comments: