Sunday, July 5, 2015

2015-06-01 - Monday - Pumpkins and terrible weed

I have a volunteer pumpkin vine growing in my (too cool) compost pile from last fall's pumpkin. Since it's growing in straight compost it's very vigorous and spreading rapidly. We'll see if anything comes of it.

We have some very irritating neighbors to the rear of our house. They erected a tall wooden fence before moving a stick of furniture into the house. The workers who built the fence let much of the scrap lumber fall in our yard and left it there. The new fence was built inside their existing metal fence creating about of foot of no-man's land where weeds readily grow. Their dogs are constantly barking at me whenever I'm in my yard.

One of the most irritating things is that they planted some trees about six feet from the fence and they don't tend anything between the trees and the fence. This means that any weeds and vines that grow in the area come right over the fence. One year they had a bumper crop of 7-8 foot thistle plants that all went to seed. I'm still fighting the results of that.

In the last couple of years, it's mainly poison ivy vine, virginia creeper, and the dreaded porcelain berry. This plant grows like kudzu and latches onto everything it can reach. I am constantly slashing and spraying it, but like the tide, it just keeps coming in. I suppose it would help if they were fighting it on their side of the fence, but I'm apparently the only one battling it. Grrr. You can see it all coming over the fence behind the compost pile.

I've never seen these people, let alone met them, but I sure wish they'd take a little bit more responsibility with their yard.

Good fences don't always make good neighbors.

Pumpkin vine eating my compost.

Pumpkin flower.

Porcelain berry [shudder].



.

1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

hope you get some pumpkins; never heard of porcelain berry, too bad it isn't porcelain clay