Saturday, July 4, 2015

2015-05-28 - Thursday - New pots

Thursday was a big day as I got lots of work out of the cone 10 and cone 5 kilns. I was very pleased with the results from the different types of firings.

My favorite method is cone 10 reduction firing and I am very pleased with my pots from this firing. The shinos have a nice variation in hues with lots of carbon-trapping. There was also a lot of crazing on some of them and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's a heating/cooling rate issue, but I'm not complaining as it adds another layer to these forms which are not meant for food anyway.


Good firing.

Shino w/crazing.

A closer look.

More shino crazing.
 
Another closer look.


Another batch of bowls with graphic designs came out too. I am enjoying these as I get to play by doodling in them with underglaze using different applicator and brush techniques.

Bowls w/cobalt.

Inside one.


The last group of bowls I retrieved was a commission from my high school friend, Stan Godlewski. He requested a large bowl and I ended up making three just in case one didn't come out the way I wanted it to. The orange color is not one I normally use, but it was his choice and I like the way it works.
Attention!

At ease.

I just had to include a close-up of
Eddie. He was waiting for it.



.

No comments: