Wednesday, March 7, 2012

February 29 - New work

Wednesday I started something new.  I've been making pots with a crackled surface for a while now and recently had the idea of using the crackle technique to make a face.  Since we've been talking about totems lately I thought about faces and this idea came right behind it.

This will be the first in a series and I think he's rather contemplative.  I am reminded of the old anthropomorphic cloud faces in children's books.  He's covered in blue slip and will be quite striking when glazed and fired.  I hope to add more detail and expression to later pieces.  Let's see how this idea evolves...




.

2 comments:

Max said...

Go John, love it.!!!

jbf said...

Thanks! Did another one last night and decided I need to make larger pieces so I can refine the faces better.