Sunday, September 19, 2010

2010-09-05 Sunday - Barrel Firing

Sunday was a barrel and raku firing with Becky and Kim.  The firing had the usual mixed results.  After we got the barrel going I got a lot of glazing done.

The barrel starts burning.


Becky breaking up cow pies for the fire.


Pretty tough cow pies.


Ta-Da!


Our clay came in for the next session.
(We use a lot of clay.)

My glazing.


My palate, a dollar store plate.
(Apparently I was thinkin' Arby's.)

More glaze work.


I put more wire on my sutured pot.




A short video of the barrel.

.

5 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I'm doing a barrel firing tomorrow morning. what happens to the wire, does it melt? I may be coming there for a visit end of this week, stay tuned.

jbf said...

Good luck on your firing. May the barrel gods smile on you.

The wire is nickel-chromium or ni-chrome and is made for high temperature applications. It just gets matte and kind of rough at ^10.

Wow! Let us know when you are coming. A bunch of us from Clayworks are going to be staffing a booth at Festival in the Park Thursday through Sunday. I also have a sale in Mount Holly on Saturday and Becky is showing at Atalaya and Kim is helping her.

We're all over the place, eh?

Linda Starr said...

Oh I may have to come by the parks then, as I am leaving on Wednesday, going to Meredith's in Whynot and will be there Friday, so I check out the maps and see where you'll be. Is festival in the park in Charlotte? Where is Atalaya?

Linda Starr said...

Oh I've used that wire before, just didn't look like it was nichrome, nice touch.

jbf said...

Festival in the Park takes place in Freedom Park, south of downtown. I'll be there from 4:00 pm to 9:30 pm on Friday. Parking can be a challenge so please check the website.

Atalaya is near Murrells Inlet, SC.

I'll be in Mount Holly on Saturday at the Art on Main show and back at Festival in the Park Sunday 1:00 pm to 6:30 pm.

Busy weekend. Hope to see you during your visit!