Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Playing with light

Since the holidays were officially over on Monday (twelve days of Christmas and all), I wanted to get a shot of the lights we put up this year. I try to do something different every couple of years and this year was white lights. It was bright but understated and this didn't seem the year to put up an party of multicolored lights.

I took the tripod and turned the camera on manual exposure to see what I could do.


This is a 1 second exposure.


Same picture with a10 second exposure.


This is a 2 second exposure
(from much closer). I like the
"flares" from the light bulbs.


I looked up through the trees to see the moon behind thin layer of clouds and thought, "That could be a nice shot..."

4 seconds.


15 seconds.
(The longest exposure setting.)


About that time a car went by and I thought about stretching the lights from the cars. (I love doing that.)

The street at 2.5 seconds.


A ghost car at 2.5 seconds.


A ghost van at 2.5 seconds.
I really like the way the top tail light
puts a perspective on the image and
gives it even more motion
than the single level lights.


You can have a lot of fun with a point-and-shoot camera if you go "off road" and turn off the automatic settings. Don't be afraid to take a lot of bad pictures to get one good one. (I know where the delete button is in my sleep.)

4 comments:

Ron said...

Those are fun John. I'll have to give it a try.

jbf said...

You might have to wait a while for a car on your road. Be sure to bring a chair.

Amy said...

ok so I have much much to learn about cameras... how interesting! on another note, hope you decide to sell on etsy soon... then some of your 100 pots will find new homes!

jbf said...

I also have a lot to learn about photography. Exposure time is just scratching the surface of what can be done. (Someday I hope to have a working understanding of F-stops.)

On the subject of Etsy, we'll see. I'm having a bout of doubt at the moment. I think after I go through my inventory and smash all the ones that deserve it I might feel a bit better.