Tuesday, April 19, 2016

2016-04-10 - Sunday - Plant Rescue and Re-Planting

Sunday I went on a native plant rescue with Project Idlewild. We rescue plants from impending construction sites. My friend Nick delineates wetlands before construction begins and knows where there are nice specimens of native plants that are going to be plowed under. Before that can happen we go in and rescue them to transplant into our yards. It's a win/win as the plants are rescued and native plants require almost no maintenance.


This was one of our objectives Sunday:
the cinnamon fern.

I have had some bags of top soil sitting on the edge of the driveway since last year. When I used them Sunday, I was surprised to find earthworms and moss inside the bags.



When I put down the landscape fabric I found a spider crawling across it. At first glance I thought it might have been a black widow based on its shape, but the abdomen was brown and distended with no hourglass underneath. I sent her on her way.


When I came home from Greensboro on Saturday evening I emptied the ice out of the cooler I took with me. It was in the cooler all day and didn't melt much. I often dump the ice in the flower beds outside the back door to let the plants have the water.

I knew it was cool overnight but I was astounded to find a bunch of the ice still in the flower bed at 1:00 pm the next day. It's a slow spring this year.




.

No comments: