Underneath all this was a complete concrete patio.
After the work crew left I had to remove the debris so they could continue the next day. When I tried to remove the leaves I was surprised to find out that the closest maple tree had sent a one-inch diameter root onto the patio which had split into a vast network of hair roots in the compost. I also discovered that the downspout emptied directly under the deck, so those roots had perfect growing conditions.
When I tried to remove the roots it was like one huge, wet rug made of roots and compost. I had to use the shovel to chop it into several pieces to remove it. I also filled four large bags with leaves and dumped four wheelbarrow loads of compost in the yard.
|What a mess!|
|Binkley is inspecting.|
|Glad that's over with.|
|There was also a base of a planter and|
some seating in one corner of the slab.
Later that evening I went to Clayworks for class and we bricked up the door of the salt kiln. I thought it was very thoughtful of Will Baker to include beer holders in his design when he built our kiln. :8^)
After the kiln door was closed I threw a two-piece pot and called it a night.